How is it already the middle of August? At the risk of sounding cliche, this summer has absolutely flown by at warp speed. I shouldn’t be that surprised, though: My calendar has been jam-packed with some amazing getaways and experiences, and all summer long it’s felt like I’m hopping from one event to the next with little time to breathe. Weekends with no plans have been few and far in-between. I’ve been to the pool exactly twice.
But I’m not complaining! Staying busy always makes life pass by so quickly, yet staying busy is what keeps life interesting… It’s a catch-22. So carpe diem, bitches.
Here’s a quick rundown of Summer 2014 highlights, in chronological order:
- Fort Lauderdale for the Tortuga Music Festival with Dan (plus a day trip to Miami and a beautiful night in Boca)
- Hilton Head Island for a girls getaway with my sister, mom, and family friend Susan (plus a day trip to Savannah)
- Nashville for Memorial Day Weekend with Dan, Kait, Lee, and Avery (#TigersTakeNashville for the win)
- Luke Bryan concert in St. Louis with Dan (best surprise ever!)
- Alaska (Anchorage and Denali National Park) with Dan and his parents (and his brother, who is interning there this summer)
- Boca Raton for Phi Mu National Convention with some of my favorite Phi Mu sisters
- Weekend trip home to say goodbye to 1457 Asbury (more on that later)
- Moving out of my Broadway Village apartment — my home for the past three years and our home together for the past two — and moving into a duplex with some more room to grow
- Lake day with my Phi Mu sisters
- And all summer long, lots of exciting work stuff and continuing in my new-ish role as the president of my sorority’s house corporation board
Phew, I’m exhausted. And I’m not done yet: This weekend Dan and I are off to Vegas, where we’ll spend a few days on our own before I meet up with my boss to attend market Monday and Tuesday. And then we’re capping off the summer at my parents’ new lakefront house Labor Day Weekend. I’m psyched to lounge around their new place, get some sun on the dock, and play in the water with no schedule or place to be.
This has been an amazing summer, but I am really looking forward to my favorite season and all it brings: tailgating, pumpkins, sunshine with crisp air, colorful leaves, layers, Halloween. Plus this fall we’re seeing Eric Church again (because we obviously can’t go 5 months without seeing him) and both serving in the wedding party for Patsy and Brandon’s wedding (this is a new annual tradition for us, it seems). And there’s talk of a dog… Mostly me talking, but we’ll see if Dan comes around to a furbaby.
I’m feeling really blessed (sorry, cliche) and happy right now. I’ve realized you don’t wish your days away and dread Monday mornings when you love your life and genuinely enjoy it. Here’s hoping the good times continue.