I have finally asked all my besties to be my bridesmaids (yay!) so now that the surprise is over, I can finally share what I did to “propose” to my girls.
There are many creative ways to ask your friends to be your bridesmaids, and I was stumped at first about how I wanted to do it. Ultimately, I knew I wanted to craft something personalized for each of my friends and to assemble a little box of sweet treats with some celebratory favorites for them to enjoy. The final result: DIY bridesmaid proposal boxes! I made keepsake boxes personalized for each woman with a ring pop (a sweet nod to the proposal), pale-pink Essie nail polish (for a little pampering), a mini bottle of champagne (to celebrate, of course!), and a handwritten note (to let them know how much they mean to me).
There are online sites that sell pre-assembled boxes or services that make customized boxes for you, but they can be outrageously expensive. Plus, I think it’s more personal when the bride herself takes the time to make something special for her friends. I wanted to show my friends that I care about them and understand they’re doing me a great honor by agreeing to be my bridesmaids.
How to Make DIY Bridesmaid Proposal Boxes
Supplies to Decorate the Box
- A plain unfinished wooden box with latch (Tip: Make sure it’s large enough to fit your items, especially if you’re including bottles of champagne. I got mine for $5.49 each at Michael’s.)
- Gold spray paint (I used Short Cuts in Gold Leaf)
- Colored paint for the inside of the box (I used Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Craft Paint in Sea Glass from Michael’s)
- Paper crinkle filler (I used Michael’s paper crinkle in a mix of both white and Kraft-paper brown)
- Small paintbrush or foam brush
- Shaped chalkboard decals (I used chalkboard tags from Michael’s)
- Glittered letter appliques
- Gold Sharpie or metallic ink marker
- Gift tags
- Twine or ribbon
- Gorilla glue
Ideas for the Treats Inside
Now the fun part: What to put inside in your bridesmaid proposal box? Think about your favorite things and also favorites of your friends. What reflects your personality and gives a glimpse as to your wedding plans, while also giving your friends something they’ll enjoy? For me that was champagne, Essie nail polish, a ring pop, and a note.
- Mini bottle of champagne or a favorite liquor: I love sparkling wine, and champagne just screams “party!” to me, so I knew it was a must for my bridesmaids box. Plus mini champagne bottles are so cute and festive. Visually, they worked perfectly with my box design.
- A bottle of nail polish: I obsessively paint my nails and collect Essie nail polish, so a bottle of Essie was both a nod to what I love and also something fun I knew my friends would use and enjoy. I selected a light pale pink, because one of my wedding colors is blush pink, plus it’s a neutral everyday shade my girls can actually use.
- Ring pop: To top it off, I added a ring pop as a cute nod to a wedding ring.
- Handwritten note: Most importantly, I also included a personal note card to each of my friends.
DIY Bridesmaids Boxes Step by Step